Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Meeting Catbird

I have been refinishing our dining room table. Over the last few weeks, when good weather permits I drag the table out onto the deck to work on it. Yesterday I was sitting under the table quietly brushing on a prestaining undercoat, when a catbird flew down to the bird bath for a drink. He took one big gulp before he noticed me, and promptly froze.

We looked at each other for a few moments, and I watched as he slowly relaxed. Soon he was gulping down water. I had never really watched one drink that close up before (it was only 4 or 5 feet away). He scooped the water into his throat, and then sort of gargled with it before swallowing. After drinking his fill he jumped in for a bit of a splash. I must admit that I did spare one nervous glance towards my drying table leaves which were mere inches from the bird bath, but not for long. Watching him enjoy himself was too much fun. He gave me one long steady look before he flew off. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home