Monday, November 15, 2004

Fall Cleaning, Garden Style

I have been hard at work in my little garden lately. The hard frosts we have had over the last week or two have been killing the annuals, and as they die I have been digging them up. It looks very bare out there. I'll be glad when I have a free afternoon and can plant the bulbs I have gotten (tulips, alliums, daffodils, hyacinths, and crocus) into the ground and then I can mulch everything, and it should look a bit better. Mulch makes everything look better. {laugh} Although, I suppose I wouldn't like it in my living room.

The birds and squirrels have been storing up on seeds at an alarming rate. It also seems that they have set aside their petty quarrels and sit side by side stuffing as many seeds in their little mouths as they can.

The bird bath has been frozen solid the last several mornings. The sparrows go skating around and pecking hopelessly at the icy surface until I take a hot glass of water out to melt it. Then they descend in droves and drink their fill.

I planted some fall grass seed in the front yard two or three weeks ago. It is making great progress, being now about three inches high.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home